Wednesday, August 20, 2008

David's visit to the Allergist. 8-20-08

Wednesday August 20th, 2008- We we went to the allergist today and had David tested. Bryan was sweet and took a few hours off work to come with us. Poor little David is allergic to peanuts. He is also a little allergic to eggs. We were told by Dr. Palmer (the allergist) that we need to keep David completely away from peanuts. Since I am breast feeding still I also need to stay away from peanuts. We are also not suppose to give David straight eggs. We are fine giving him things with eggs in it but, we need to stay away from giving him eggs on their own.
I bet you are wondering how the test was given. They have a tray with 6 different things that children could be allergic to. they also put a histamine on the bottom to make sure the test worked. They stick it into his skin and wait 10min. We gave David a succor during the 10 min to keep him from scratching his back or trying to run around. He did great and was pretty well behaved. After the 10 min was over they come back in and look at the areas. the two top areas as you can see is what he was allergic to. Dr. Palmer says that children with egg allergies almost always grow out of them. He also said only 20% of children with peanut allergies grow out of them. Children who get the peanut allergy at a younger age are normally more likely to be in the 20% that grow out of the allergy. So David could grow out of both allergies which would be great. Until then we just want every one to be aware that when David's around the peanuts need to stay away.

These pictures are of David eating his small grape succor at the Dr.s office. He made a mess but loved the treat.


















Tuesday August 20th, 2008- We did not plant much of a garden this year. We planted two tomato plants and two pepper plants. We have gotten a few tomatoes and these banana peppers and green peppers. I am glad we have some fresh veggies. Next year hopefully we will be able to plant some more.
I dropped an ice cube on the floor and David was quick to pick it up. He stuck it in his mouth and then spit it out. I decided to give it back to him. The ice entertained him for about 10min. It was so cute.

This week David has picked up a new skill. He has learned to open all my drawers and cupboards. Here he is helping Mom clean out the cupboard. How sweet of David to help Mommy.





3 comments:

Angela said...

That's a bummer about the peanuts, is it every type of nuts or just peanuts? Hopefully he'll be one that outgrows it! He sure looks cute with that little sucker in his mouth- I especially love the drips down the tummy!

Day Family Blog said...

Darn those allergies, I mean peanuts are everywhere. Eggs are about the only thing that Madelyn will eat. Anyway good luck.

Lauri said...

Poor David! The test looks like it must have been irritating. I hope he outgrows it, but if not, people are a lot more careful about peanut allergies now than they used to be...