Thursday, October 16, 2008

A new Nephew, canning, pumpkin picking and a busy busy week!!!

Monday October 13th, 2008- Today My sister had her baby. Congratulations Tami and CJ on your sweet little boy. They named him Spencer Clifton Cahoon. We are so excited to have another nephew!!! We can hardly wait to see him. Please send us some pictures as soon as possible. We look forward to see all of you in November!!!!!

Sunday October 12th, 2008- Bryan, David and I stayed home from church today with all had the flue. We tried to sleep a lot and take it easy. It is the pits to all be sick at the same time.

Saturday October 11th, 2008- David was up 3 or more times last night. He just is not feeling well. After 3 times of being up with David I told Bryan it was his turn. I woke up not feeling very well either. I had the chills and the aches. Bryan and I were able to get a few things done in the morning in our house before we headed into Boise. I asked Bryan if I could stay home but he convinced me to go into Boise with him. I had to have him pull over and I found out I was really not feeling well. I have the flue. We drove to Bryan's parents and spent the rest of the day their. I spent time sleeping and Bryan fixed some cupboards in his Mom's kitchen. David tried to help also. We watched the BSU game and Bryan came down with the flue also. We did not have much for dinner but stayed curled up in Von and Sheri's basement until around 9:00pm when we decided we just needed to get home. I drove and we went right to bed when we got home. I had to call and let Brenda know I would not be making to the youth dance to chaperon because of the flu.


















Friday October 10th, 2008- It was a busy morning. I started cutting the onions, tomatoes, garlic, and peppers to make spaghetti sauce with. I got it all cut. blended and put into the pot to cook. I also put in the Italian seasoning. Then I tasted it. Some thing was wrong with it. I got a call from on of the ladies (Mandy Hennis) I visit Teach and she needed me to come watch her children while she went to the minor emergency center. I took the sauce off the stove put it out side in the cold to stay cool, (since the pot would not fit in my fridge, grab David and headed to Mandy Hennis house. I ended up being there for two hours. Bryan came home for lunch but we missed him. We got home from the Hennis's right after he left. When I got home I put the spaghetti sauce back on the stove to cook and called Emily. She was sweet enough to come over and try to help me salvage the spaghetti sauce I was trying to make. We figured out what I had done wrong. I had added to much garlic. I had added a whole clove of garlic. Oops. We grab another pan and started to cut more peppers, onions and tomatoes to salvage the sauce. I ended up going to the store to buy some tomato paste, more peppers, and more Italian seasoning packets. (I also picked up some more apple boxes while I was there.) We ended up with two huge pans of sauce. We ended up being able to salvage the sauce with just adding more tomato products and veggies. It turned out ok. Emily left around 4:15pm. I still needed to water bath the 21 jars of spaghetti sauce and then meet at Emily's house for the BBQ she was having. I got 14 of the quarts of sauce in the water bath when my propane ran out. I no longer could water bathe the sauce. I stuck all 21 jars of sauce in the fridge. Bryan got home and we all headed over tot he Sherman's for dinner and pumpkin picking. The Sherman's had the Jensen's, Conely's and our family over for dinner and the picking. Emily's neighbors the (Brown's) let us pick pumpkins from there pumpkin patched. It was great. David thought it was cool for about 1 min. After he picked his pumpkin he was done. We ended up with about 10 pumpkins of various sizes. David was whinny most of the night. I could not figure out what his problem was. We ended up leaving the Sherman's house a little early because David was so fussy.














Loading David, Jax, & Addaley up to head to the pumpkin patch.


David made himself all nice and comfortable in the front of the wagon.

Bryan and David walking throw the pumpkin patch.
Mommy and David picking out the perfect pumpkin.
David did a great job picking the perfect one. The one that was just right for his size.
Linda Sue in the pumpkin patch.

Dave, Rylund, and Emily picking there pumpkins.
Emma Jenson picked a gigantic pumpkin.
Troy Jensen


Emily taking a picture of me while I took one of her.
Jax, Jacobi, and Emily in the pumpkin patch.

Tess and Emma in the pumpkin patch
The whole pumpkin picking crew 14 of us. (the Sherman family(5), Jensen Family(6), Conely(3 1/2) Family, and us the Sorenson Family(3)



Nora and David playing with the toy car

Jax and David

Addaley, David, Linda Sue and Nora


David playing outside at the Sherman's before we had dinner.








Bryan and David eating they yummy food in the Sherman's garage.


Emily, Jocobi, Nora, Troy, Rylund

Addaley eating her dinner

Dave, Tess, Rylund, Sophi, Emma, and Chad

Dave, Bryan, ?, Linda Sue, Rylund, Emily, & Troy


Dave Sherman cooking the hamburgers and Hot dogs. Wow look at those flames

Bryan & Troy keeping an eye on David.

Jaden, Rylund, Tess, Nora, and Emma playing in the Sherman's back yard while dinner was being cooked.











Sophie, Linda Sue, Emily and Jacobi talking while the hot dogs and burgers were being cooked.

David all bundled up to go pick some pumpkins


















Thursday October 9th, 2008- David and I went to a Yoga class that Andrea Cowling ( a lady from our ward) instructed at the church in the nursery. It went from 9:30-10:30. I really enjoyed going. David just played in the nursery most of the time. After the Yoga class we headed over to Linda Sue Jensen’s and picked some of her crabapples and purple grapes to make jam out of them. During David's after noon nap I ended up making 21 pints of crabapple grape jam. The only bummer is that it did not set up. I have 21 jars of un- set jam. I will have to reprocess them and add more pectin latter on when I have some more time. For now I will just put them in my cupboard. Bryan went to the gym for a little while. I went to our ward co-ed volleyball game. It was fun. Emily was sweet and bought me some Italian seasoning and garlic to put in the spaghetti sauce I will be making tomorrow. Thanks Emily!

21 pints of runny crabapple/grape jam.














Wednesday October 8th, 2008- today was a busy day. I did some grocery shopping in the morning and then after lunch I headed over to Emily Sherman's house. We spent the after noon picking: tomatoes, carrots, peppers, squash/Gords, green beans, and raspberries. I put David down for a nap at Emily’s, and then we cut, blanched and put carrots in bags to freeze. We ended up doing 8 bags of carrots. Emily was kind enough to send me home with half of those bags. She is so nice to share. It is suppose to freeze tonight so we picked what ever we could to save it from the frost. I ended up coming home with whole 2 boxes full of tomatoes, and a bucket full of peppers to make spaghetti sauce with. Emily's neighbors were going out of town so they let us pick and have some of their tomatoes, peppers, and raspberries. Sherman's invited us to dinner. I call Bryan and had him meet David and I at the Sherman's for a great fajita dinner. Dave Sherman even hand made the wheat tortillas. We had fajitas with corn from their garden, fresh lettuce and tomatoes, and peppers from their garden. I love eating food that is fresh from a garden. Food always taste so much better when it is fresh.

Rylund, David, Emily and Addaley eating the raspberries we picked at the neighbors house.


David playing in the Sherman's play room.
After dinner Dave Sherman made penutbutter brownies. We gave Addaley and David graham crackers with chocolate frosting on them instead. As you can tell they love them.


David and Bryan
Addaley loving her dessert.



Here is the picture of the tomatoes and peppers I ended up with. I also picked the tomatoes and peppers from my house.
Tuesday October 7th, 2008- All I can remember is that we had fun watching Addaley Sherman for a few hours. David and Addaley had fun playing. Emily dropped off some green beans from her garden and I blanched them and froze them. I ended up with 4 more bags of frozen green beans which I think is great!

2 comments:

Amanda Stevens said...

Amazing stamina and effort Gigi!!! I am so proud of you!!! Happy early B-day!!

Lauri said...

Wow! I am exhausted just reading about all your canning! Sorry your jam didn't turn out and that you had toruble with the spaghetti sauce too - I'm sure they will be great in the end! Thanks for playing the tag too!