Sunday, July 13, 2008

The first official emergency room visit

Friday July 11th, 2008- Bryan got home around 4:00pm and we finished loading the truck to go on a camp out in Homdale with the Mattravers family and the Hessing family. We had decided to just sleep in tents in Jared's back yard and have some nice dutch oven cooking. I give David a little snack to tide him over until dinner around 7:00pm. I gave him some little fish and a piece on the granola bar that I was eating. I ran up stairs for a minuet and then came back down stairs. I started loading David into his car seat and asked Bryan if David looked like he had a rash. Bryan said he was not sure so we headed out to Homedale. We got about two minuets from our house when I realized Davids was scratching his face, ears, his eyes were blood shoot and that his lips were about 4 sizes bigger than normal. We realize David must be having an allergic reaction to the new food I had given him (the granola bar). We turned right around and headed to the Miner Emergency center. It had only been 7-10 min when we got there & David face, lips etc. had continued to swell. The Miner emergency center asked how long ago I have given Daivd the Granola bar , which I responded about 10mins ago. They told me his reaction is quite saveer and sent Bryan, David, and I straight to the emergency room. David threw up on me on the way to the Emergency room, which brought me to tears. By this time it had been about 15min and I was a mess (good thing Bryan was thinking straight.) We got to the Emergency room they gave him a Predazone shot and a Benodrill shot and monitored him for about an hour. Not long after they had given the shots he manage to throw up on me again and his lip had split and started to bleed from the swelling. David luckily ended up being all right but I have to say it was quite a scary!! We think David is allergic to the peanut butter chips that were in the granola bar. We will be following up with his pediatrician on Monday to find out for sure. It makes me so great for modern day advancements and for the sweet little baby I have. It reminds me to not take for granted all that we are given and how precious little David is in our life. We sure love him and are grateful to be parents. Our poor little guy!!!!! I am glad he is doing better. After leaving the Emergency room we did stop at the Walgreens pharmacy and pick up liquid Benadrill and the prescription on Predizone the doctor gave us. We will be giving David some of both for the next few days as the granola bar works its way out of his system (at least what is left of it). After leaving Walgreen's we did make over way out to Homdale for the over night camp out. I will wright more about that later.

This is what David looked like right before we left the emergency room. We were sure glad to be leaving with a breathing, not as swollen little boy.



2 comments:

Day Family Blog said...

Poor guy and poor mommy. What a scary experience, but I am glad that everything is all right. I hope he isn't allergic to peanuts.

Lauri said...

what a scary experience! You're such a good mom to catch it so quickly and get him to the ER. He looks so much better in the picture before you left the hospital. I hope you're all feeling better after that little set back and that you enjoyed your camping "trip"!